Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Renaissance Portraits Remixed

An interesting article about Italian photographer Mark Abouzeid posing modern immigrants as masterpiece stars of Renaissance painting. Here is the link to  the Huffingtonpost's page: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/04/renaissance-portraits-reimagined-artist-mark-abouzeid_n_3016572.html
Original portrait of Elisabetta Gonzaga (1504-1505) by Raphael, Uffizi
Gallery, Florence. 
The photographer's idea started as a joke out of his frustration by noticing that Florence looks at its past as a static object. 

My mind went immediately to my blog and me as a doppelganger of a popular ceramic portrait that I found in a ceramic art book. By having my portrait done as a Renaissance lady I felt how anachronistic my past could be if I repeated it as easy as that, sic et simpliciter in Latin. Nevertheless, that's how my story started. I let first the Renaissance period, my classical past, and my family's art heritage flow through me starting from my Bertabella lover's cup. Now it's time to grind everything into a fine powder and build something new. I'm ready!

Detail of my lover's cup painted in 2009 by artist and
friend Romano Ranieri.  



-------------


Original Posts by Roberta Niccacci -

FRIENDS OF CAMA 
Join the Facebook Page to Receive Blog Updates 



NEW!

Now on Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment